Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rumor Mill    Malware Concern
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Malware Concern
 Login/Register

posted
I've read that Macs could be infected by Malware viruses. Is there any information regarding this situation and are there any Apple patches that may be downloaded to prevent the problem from happening? I have a iMac, iPad with Lion and a Macbook laptop with Snowleopard loaded.

Posts: 1 | Location: Michigan | Registered: April 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ambassador
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
Here's an article on it.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://bestappsite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6108 | Location: Southfield MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
On both the iMac and MacBook, go to software update and run all updates. You should see something Java or Safari related. Apple has pushed a few updates out over the last week.

Common sense will take you far, so if you get a request for your password for something you didn't ask to install... Don't do it!

You are safe with the iPad in regards to Malware as it runs on a different OS.

Dave McGuire

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 1917 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
What should we do when we get an "install Flash update" message that appears to come from Adobe? I just OK'd one, then read this discussion, so cancelled it before it finished downloading.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 1882 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Mary Jo - Anytime that I'm at all suspicious about being asked to install anything, update anything or get my password - I normally don't. Instead, I go to the site that the request originated from. In your case, I would go to the Adobe site and see if there is indeed a Flash update there. If so, you can then install it directly from Adobe.

Terry supplied a great link regarding the potential Malware called Flashback. From that article, there are other useful links to check if your system has been infected. Thanks Terry.

Posts: 683 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Mary Jo, I'm with Mike on this. When I get a request to update, expecially Flash but any plug-in, I go directly to the source site and if necessary, download from there. I always find it interesting that the sites that really push "new" vulnerabilities are also pushing their own products. I tell everyone to keep up to date with security updates, and never type in your password unless you are installing something intentionally.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Posts: 3527 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike & Phyl. The "Adobe" update never asks a password or any info - just whether to install the update. Nevertheless, will follow your advice. I normally install most system software updates (except for something I don't normally use now & then.)

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 1882 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Check this out regarding Flash updates.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001...-attack/?tag=nl.e496

Posts: 326 | Location: greater detroit area | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Flashback Malware is still out there. Apple and others have been releasing info and protection. If you are running 10.6 or 10.7, check for Software Updates under the Apple Menu. Install any Java updates, as there has been another update released in the past few days. It's recommended that users running 10.5 and earlier disable Java in their web browsers. There is tons of info online about Flashback.

Posts: 683 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post