Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rumor Mill    Mac Laptops Imminent
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mac Laptops Imminent
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted
Mac OS X 10.5.2 is imminent according to Mac Megasite.

Maybe its release will be accompanied by Penryn laptops in March, according to an Engadget Lenovo rumor. Intel has experienced delays.

On average, MacBook laptops are revved every 177 days, and we're a bit overdue at 258 days according to Mac Timeline. The MacBook Pros are also a bit overdue at 237 days when the average is 194 days.

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
from AppleInsider

MacBook Pros running dry in the Channel ahead of Refreshes

By Katie Marsal
Published: 12:40 PM EST

Related AppleInsider articles:
Next-gen Apple MacBook Pros to gain...
Intel to launch Penryn mobile chips ahead of...
Next-gen MacBook Pro "Penryn" chips revealed
Apple struggling to meet demand for new...
Apple preps MacBook Pro updates, launches...
Inventory of MacBook Pros has become severely constrained over the past three weeks, with some reseller now reflecting backorder status on the soon-to-be refreshed Apple professional notebooks.

Apple retail partner and online reseller Best Buy has recently run out of 15-inch models, and lists on its online store wait times of one to two weeks for availability.

Meanwhile, other large Apple resellers have managed to maintain availability of the Intel-based Core 2 Duo notebooks, but have informed AppleInsider that their flow of incoming and forward looking orders has decreased significantly over the past month, ahead of a product refresh.

Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
Perfect timing. I think I'm due for a refresh at work Smile

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
This coming Tuesday might be the day for the MacBook Pro update

Go AAPL ..... :-)

----- 10.0 Cheetah, 10.1 Puma, 10.2 Jaguar, 10.3 Panther , 10.4 Tiger, 10.5 Leopard, 10.X = ( Cougar or Lynx ) -----
----- When was the last time Apple updated a product ..... http://www.mactimeline.com/ -----

Posts: 1796 | Location: Washington, Michigan | Registered: June 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
I believe the new ( Penryn Core 2 Duo ) Intel laptop chips are ready, but I'm not at all sure that Blu-ray superdrives are available (at reasonable prices). The new nVidia graphics chips for laptops seem to have disappeared off the radar screen (not that they were ever on the radar screen). nVidia tower graphics chips are apparently due in 2Q2008, if that offers any guidance on our ruminations. Those are key technical enablers for an improved laptop in my thinking - but Apple may choose to release a "watered-down" version. The Blu-ray manufacturers have had at least 2 months since the collapse of HD-DVD to ready new production. Apple tends to be leading edge with new technology. Hopefully we'll see LED backlighting in the 17" MBP models. I don't think we'll ever see a final 802.11n spec from IEEE - so it's as final as it's going to get.

I don't think we're going to see HDMI 1.3 (high color resolution, or Deep Color) ports - I'm not sure if that spec applies to DVI connections . We probably won't see DisplayPort either - but it would be NICE. We're making our way towards a "stable" multimedia machine rather slowly as we progress through interim standards, but it isn't Apple's fault. The Christmas 2008 MBP laptops will probably have these last features and new entirely new Intel chips.

iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
Hey, this link was working earlier this morning about the rumor of this coming Tuesday MacBook Pro update.... Eek Confused

I am surprised that Apple up to now hasn't offered a Blu-ray drive ( at least a reader if not a burner ). Even if Apple was not sure if Blu-ray would win, they could have at least offerred it as an option....as a high cost add on

----- 10.0 Cheetah, 10.1 Puma, 10.2 Jaguar, 10.3 Panther , 10.4 Tiger, 10.5 Leopard, 10.X = ( Cougar or Lynx ) -----
----- When was the last time Apple updated a product ..... http://www.mactimeline.com/ -----

Posts: 1796 | Location: Washington, Michigan | Registered: June 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
I found this reason as to why the story was pulled.

quote:
editor note: I've removed the story off the front page for now as some conflicting information has arisen. I still believe the MBP's are coming on Tuesday, but I need to reconcile some information, and have pulled the story temporarily because of it.

Jedi Knight
Picture of chris.fx
AIM: Online Status For ChrisMehling123
posted Hide Post
I've read supplies of MB Pros are running dry and new inventory numbers are now in the Apple systems. It sounds like the new MP Pro rumor is a safe bet.

Maybe a LED display and the fancy new track pad from the Air will make an appearance on the Pro.

Are there thin enough Blu-Ray drives to fit in the thin MB Pro body? Hummm...

It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
OK, the new laptops are here. Drill down for more specs and improvements.

I guess the new processors aren't called Penryns, but Centrinos (That's an internal Intel marketing change, but they're still Core 2 Duo processors. I find Intel's two-layer naming scheme confusing, and the frequent name changes don't clarify consumers' understanding.)

LED backlighting finally made it into the 17" MBP. New nVidia processors are included - I don't know if that's the "ultimate" 2008 model. Ultimate doesn't mean highest performance graphics processor, but rather a graphics processor that's a member of the new mobile graphics processors nVidia is releasing this year. The MBP laptops have Multi-Touch trackpads - maybe the MB's also have it?

The Blu-ray drive didn't make this revision. Color bit depth is uncertain, since the nVidia GeForce 8600M GT can output 10-bit color (up from 6-bit). I don't know what color depth Apple is programming. New video ports didn't make it (HDMI with "Deep Color" or DisplayPort), so it is difficult to determine what kind of display color is possible.

Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Still no Blu-ray movie playback! Still no 3G support built-in!

Frown

----

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Steve thinks DVDs are dead, so I don't know if we'll ever see Blu-ray delivered by Apple on a Mac - I think that will be 3rd party only.

3G - look at the fuss people made about the iPhone being tied to AT&T. I doubt Apple wants that hassle with the MacBook Pros. As long as they give you a slot, I'm sure they figure they've done their job, and you can choose your own 3G add-on. I don't ever expect to see that either.

I'm happy to be able to get the multi-touch, a much bigger disk, and the LED HD screen(and the 4 GB memory limit and much faster, 64 bit processors) over my current MBP.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Then Steve should have:
A much much much bigger movie collection in iTunes
Match Netflix's subscription model for their downloads
Offer greater flexibility than 30day/24hour watching
Deliver HD Movie downloads to Mac/PCs as rentals and not just Apple TV.

As far as the 3G thing, who says that it has to be tied to AT&T or any other vendor. Offer BTO slots for Verizon, Sprint or AT&T if they can't just use one vendor. Or simply use ONE Vendor, AT&T since they provide GSM access and people can either choose it or NOT. Being afraid of customer backlash can't be the answer if you are to remain competitive. The other PC notebook manufactures offer built-in 3G options. You mean that Apple can't because they have to be afraid of what customers would say? I hope not!

Yes, the 4GB of RAM and faster specs all the way around plus brighter LED are all welcome and I'll be placing my order at work soon. However, this update could have been much more exciting!

quote:
Originally posted by Jack Beckman:
Steve thinks DVDs are dead, so I don't know if we'll ever see Blu-ray delivered by Apple on a Mac - I think that will be 3rd party only.

3G - look at the fuss people made about the iPhone being tied to AT&T. I doubt Apple wants that hassle with the MacBook Pros. As long as they give you a slot, I'm sure they figure they've done their job, and you can choose your own 3G add-on. I don't ever expect to see that either.

I'm happy to be able to get the multi-touch, a much bigger disk, and the LED HD screen(and the 4 GB memory limit and much faster, 64 bit processors) over my current MBP.

----

iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry White:
Offer BTO slots for Verizon, Sprint or AT&T if they can't just use one vendor..
[/QUOTE]

Help me. What is BTO? The only BTO I know is Bachman Turner Overdrive.

Thanks

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1726 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
BTO = Build To Order (custom options).

Terry,I didn't say I *agreed* with Steve - just that seems to be the attitude. Look at how the new iMovie doesn't interface to iDVD, and how iDVD and DVD Studio are not getting any updates.

For whatever reason, Apple doesn't like us updating our MBPs - look how much work it is to upgrade the disk. How come the MacBooks have an easy way to change the disks and MBPs don't? Maybe the aluminum case. So having modules you insert, other than ExpressCard, probably aren't likely for 3G. Again, I don't agree with this attitude, but that's what it seems to be. So I have resigned myself to the idea that it will be a long time, if ever, before we see Apple installed Blu-ray or 3G/WiMax cards. I *hope* I'm wrong, but I don't think so - not unless we see a change in attitude from His Steveness.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir!

Blue Collar -------

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1726 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
Steve may think DVD is dead, but Apples HD rental specs can't match that of Blu-Ray (or even HD-DVD). I also think replacing the FW800 port with an eSATA one (with eSATA to FW converter) would be a good move The SATA card on my G4 Tower seems to boot up and move data much faster than FW.

- One Nation Under A Groove -

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Terry: your 3G question occurred to me this morning as I was crashing through some work. For the foreseeable future, it seems business laptops are integrating 3G - not so much consumer laptops. The situation is confusing in the U.S. Here's what different networks are using, or introducing:

AT&T HSPA
Sprint EV-DO, WiMax
Verizon EV-DO

EV-DO is a secondary encoding scheme, and Sprint and Verizon use different primary encoding schemes.

I understand the inconvenience of depending on yet another (3G) accessory, but AT&T iPhones are steam-rolling the other cell phone providers (Verizon and Sprint) with non-standard EV-DO networks. They have to worry about phone customers defecting to AT&T. iPhones are accounting for something like 25% of new sales.

I agree on the eSATA port - it probably won't happen ever. eSATA will require an ExpressCard card.

Maybe Apple isn't including Blu-ray drives in laptops because:

1. there aren't enough movies available to justify it
2. price isn't at consumer-accepted levels yet
3. Apple doesn't want Blu-ray enabled laptops competing with its new Apple TV2 business. Maybe Apple wants to build the Apple TV2 business first?

Can you download an HD movie onto a MacBook Pro and play it with the clarity of a Blu-ray player? Or even an Apple TV2, PSP3, or Tivo?

Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
1. All the movie houses are either doing blu-ray NOW or will be very soon now that HD-DVD is dead. So the availability of more movies is only a few weeks/couple of months away.
2. Agreed on price being a factor to a point. You can buy a Mac Pro for $2799 or you can spec one out to cost over $16,000 if you want. I'm asking for an OPTIONAL Blu-ray drive.
3. It's OK if Apple doesn't want to compete with its iTunes service. I get that. Apple then needs to have enough movies available on its service so that it becomes a non-issue. The current selection pales by comparison to what's available on DVD and maybe even Blu-ray.

NO you can't download an HD movie from iTunes on anything other than an Apple TV.

If Steve thinks the future of movie playback is streaming/downloads then so be it. All I'm saying is that they either need to drastically beef up their catalog OR use Blu-ray in the meantime. They would sell a lot more MacBook Pros if these options were available.

quote:
Originally posted by Chuck M:
Maybe Apple isn't including Blu-ray drives in laptops because:

1. there aren't enough movies available to justify it
2. price isn't at consumer-accepted levels yet
3. Apple doesn't want Blu-ray enabled laptops competing with its new Apple TV2 business. Maybe Apple wants to build the Apple TV2 business first?

Can you download an HD movie onto a MacBook Pro and play it with the clarity of a Blu-ray player? Or even an Apple TV2, PSP3, or Tivo?

----

Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Terry: I'd like to see an Blu-ray drive option as well. Apple needs something to bridge the availability gap. I'd like my laptop to be a movie player. I don't think Apple could wait for the Blu-ray camp to get all their ducks lined up - so they shipped laptops.

There's one big snafu with Internet movie downloads. A large part of America's population doesn't have the high bandwidth required for convenient movie downloads.

Based on my ACTUAL download speed of 60.33KBps, a Standard Def 4.2GB movie (MPEG2 compression) would take hours to download. An HD Blu-ray movie would take 5 times that long. American Internet infrastructure will need a significant upgrade for HiDef downloadable movies to be successful.

iTunes movies must offer H.264 compressed movies to get the download completed in a reasonable time.

FastMac offers this $1000 notebook Blu-ray drive as a DIY project.

Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
This MacWorld article may explain why there's no 3G capability in MBP laptops? We know AT&T's EDGE isn't ready yet. I wonder if WiMax availability or maturity is another reason? For instance, the first attempt at providing wireless access throughout Oakland County failed, because the business plan failed (no money).

Maybe this is another reason?

quote:
April 18, 2007 Intel has confirmed that it's pulled the plug on all plans to add 3G technology to its Centrino notebook platform. From now on, the chipmaker said, it's WiMax all the way.