Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rumor Mill    Quad Core MacBook Pros Coming
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quad Core MacBook Pros Coming
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted
The evidence is growing.

Quad-core Macbook Pro’s coming soon, very soon

CNET's Brian Tong says new MacBook Pro part numbers are showing up at Best Buy

Quad-core MacBook Pro on the way?

quote:
December 30, 2008 10:42 AM PST

Intel sneaked out a new low-cost quad-core mobile processor on Monday, prompting some observers to wonder if Apple will finally release a quad-core laptop.
The lack of fanfare surrounding the 2.53GHz Core 2 Quad Mobile Processor Q9000's introduction--it was merely added to Intel's CPU price list--is certainly interesting. It's a slow news week between Christmas and New Year's, so why not play it up?, is how the logic goes.
APCMag.com says it's possible Apple's been waiting for the processor to arrive from Intel, and it just happens to coincide with Macworld next week.
That could also explain why Apple redesigned and upgraded its 13.3-inch MacBook and 15-inch MacBook Pro, but said little about the 17-inch MacBook Pro's eventual makeover.
So far Acer, which immediately announced a new laptop using Intel's newest processor, is the only PC maker that has confirmed it is using it.

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
The first article is from 2 weeks ago, the second is from a week ago and third article is from almost year ago !

I love speculation as much as the next person but Apple has said that they are set with new products for this season. This type of product would warrant a huge announcement ala MacWorld event. Since I need to replace my car after replacing the family minivan this week, I can wait till January Razz

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2106 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you noticed the publishing dates. At least somebody reads this stuff. Buying a car is (probably) more important anyway.

Other articles say Intel's Capella (or Calpella) quad core processors will be available to manufacturers in October-December 2009.

I'm sure it will be awhile before Apple hits the ROI on their last MacBook Pros. Intel releases their next chipsets in December, so maybe an Apple quad core MacBook will appear after that time? Like around January 2010?

Interestingly enough, a couple of WinTel computer companies have released quad core laptops. I'm not sure what Windows apps take advantage of multiple cores. WinTel laptop manufacturers asked Intel to delay Capella's introduction 3 months to clear slow moving inventory in an economic Depression. Apple will probably match the first WinTel computers introduction. Apple now has the OS X features (Grand Central) to make it easier for programmers to write apps that can use multiple cores. I hope nothing stops Apple and programmers from taking advantage of the multicore technology - soon.

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post