Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mini-Reviews & Recommendations    Blog site recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blog site recommendations
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
Hello experts,
Am researching blog sites for possibly starting a fairly simple one (after thinking about it a LONG time). After looking at 10 or so sites based on lists from a web page with current (2016) info, it looks like most of them are promoting web sites rather than blogging. In some cases it's implied that you wouldn't "own" your blog contents. (?????)

My preference: No bells & whistles, NO ADVERTISING, archive of previous articles, maybe subscriptions, though it wouldn't be intended as a business or money-making venture.

Wordpress seems recommended, but it apparently requires some coding and other complications that are more than I'm interested in taking on. (My current site hosting service offers Wordpress, but haven't investigated yet.)

Doesn't have to be free, but reasonable, and (to repeat) not dependent on including web ads. Images not essential.

Able to link from my web site to the blog. (Could devote a "normal" page on my site, but archiving would be problematic.)

Your ideas:

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
I've played with a few over the years. I use a free account with weebly.com for the Farmington Elks website. I set up a basic front page with general info, then I have separate pages for newsletter downloads, event photos and a blog. It works, but it can be a pain to work with at times.

My own greatly neglected blog is with blogger.com . http://redfordphyl.blogspot.com It's much easier to work with.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3765 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Was Blogspot purchased by Blogger.com?

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
PS: Weebly is one that sounded better for my purposes, but still undecided. Don't think Blogger was on the list I went by. Will take a look.

AND, I don't see any ads on your blogger page. I've wondered if free pages default to accepting ads. When I find a site that looks possible, will ask a few questions of their CS if not answered in online FAQs or Support.

Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
I think that blogspot has always been owned by blogger.com, but I started that so long ago that I don't really remember. I do remember that it took some tinkering to get the page set the way I wanted it, but nothing as bad as what I went through with weebly when I was setting up the Elks website. Had I just needed a blog for the Elks, I would have stayed with blogger/blogspot.

I can't remember there ever being ads on the blogspot page, probably because it's owned by Google. For a simple blog, it's the easiest I've used. I know that some people use Facebook as a blog of sorts, but I wouldn't recommend it. You can get a lot of followers, BUT it also brings out the trolls.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3765 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Thanks Phyl. I thought about Facebook, but decided it isn't suitable, as you mention. Not everyone that I still care about as "friends" would be interested in the topic. Also not interested in responding to the "trolls" as you put it (I know what you mean!) - mainly want to put up brief quotations I've enjoyed over many years, now & then a short personal comment.
- And the archiving feature on blogs I've seen makes more sense.

Poobah
posted Hide Post
PS: Not on topic here, but was very sorry to miss Terry's visit. In September the meeting conflict season with a classical guitar group begins for me. Now & then they don't conflict, but too many times they do.