Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mini-Reviews & Recommendations    Monitor question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monitor question
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
Friends, Have been looking over monitors / displays to replace my 10-yr-old Viewsonic 22" Picture is OK, but I think the USB hub is damaged, tends to sputter at times, has ruined at least one external drive cable.

Since there are so many options, would prefer any comments on those to AVOID, rather than which to buy.

So far: Seems that current monitors with USB connections tend to be "gaming monitors," though found a small selection with anywhere form 2 - 4 USB connectors built in. USB in the monitor has been extremely convenient, as I have a MacMini on a shelf beside my desk where numerous externals are attached, and cables can be hidden. Yes, I know about standalone hubs, but figure I'm ready for at least a 24" monitor. - Have my $479 worth from the 10-yr-old display.

PRICE: Am willing to spend a bit, don't need to pinch pennies within the range of common sense. But most "gaming monitors" appear to be more than needed.

INTERESTING: Our son is well up in IT at the GM Milford Proving Grounds. He says they don't even bother with computer monitors any more. They just get 4k TV's to serve the same purpose. That puts another consideration into the mix.

Thanks for any thoughts.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Mary Jo

There is no way that I know of where a USB cable can be damaged/destroyed by a USB port. Other than physical damage.

Where yours was "sputtering" was probably because you were trying to run newer USB devices on a USB 1 "HUB" built into your 10 year old monitor. Here is where you could have inserted a standalone USB 2 or (even better) a USB 3 HUB to run all of your external devices.

Your MacMini has at least USB 2 ports and may even have USB 3. The size of the monitor does not have anything to do with the quality or quantity of USB ports.

You are still better off getting a quality standalone USB 3 hub with a minimum of three up to seven ports and preferably one with a good size power supply to run and charge your external devices.

On my new MacPro I have a seven port USB 3 hub with a hefty power supply and it works very well.

Before buying a 4k monitor you might want to make sure the MacMini will drive it so you can make sure you are not buying something that you cannot take advantage of.

Let us know what exact model your MacMini is. As follows.
Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Posts: 1640 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
My favorite choice today is the Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor - U2415. Good viewing angle, good color gamut and stability, 1920x1200, good selection of inputs. I think it is a sweet spot of satisfaction/dollar.

See http://accessories.us.dell.com...04&l=en&sku=210-AGSU

Brian is right about using a separate USB hub.

Posts: 1964 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Buying a 4K TV (or any TV for that matter) will not give you usable USB ports. Most TVs have a USB port for connecting a FireStick or ChromeCast unit. Your model of MacMini will work with these TVs but you will not benefit fully from what the TV can actually output. One plus is you get speakers with a TV.

I believe that you should avoid 4K screens unless you plan to upgrade your computer. That said, if you do decide to upgrade your computer you should probably consider an iMac. This will give you multiple solutions/options.

New upgraded display...
Easy access to your USB ports...
Latest Operating System...
Upgraded Hardware...
Choice of a 21.5" or 27" screen...

Take a few minutes and look over the choices on Apple's website. Then check out the Refurbished section for the deals they offer.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2104 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone.
Yes, the TV is out. Just found it interesting.

Brian, I've thought of trying a hub plugged into the monitor USB ports. - But wondered if USB 2 or 3 would work. You're right about USB 1, which I hadn't thought of. The convenience factor is that the monitor USB ports are in the FRONT of the base, right under the screen - hence easy to simply plug in externals. Amid the huge number of monitors I've looked at, NONE had hubs that convenient. My Apple keyboard is plugged into one of them - never a problem.

Jim, will take a look at the Dell.

Thanks Dave for your recommendations.
Must confess I'm hanging on to my mini for the optical drive / burner. - Some other factors. (Yes I know external opticals are relatively inexpensive, but it's one more external to plug in.)

"To be continued" - Appreciate all the comments.

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
The deed is done. Purchased this Dell (went hunting in that line based on Jim's comment. - Decided on this one.) It's in transit, due to arrive Monday.

Connectivity
1 x DP (ver 1.2)
1 x HDMI (ver 1.4)
1 x VGA
1 x USB 3.0 port - Upstream
2 x USB 3.0 ports - Side
2 x USB 2.0 ports - Bottom

https://www.adorama.com/dep2417h.html

Decided after 10 years I had my money's worth from the Viewsonic. Didn't want to tangle with versions of USB, but wanted the convenience of connections from the monitor. The combo USB 2 & 3 choices of ports seemed desirable, given my older computer.

Price seems reasonable for features. Let you know after it's set up.

Went to Adorama for 2 reasons: 1. Newegg has the monitor, but it ships from Adorama. 2. I ordered some photo storage boxes from Adorama a few months back. One came with a broken corner, which I photographed. When I contacted them, they took my word for it, made it good, didn't have to return the broken box - no hassle at all. CS was excellent.

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Arrived, now set up. Display response is much faster than the one replaced - feels like a new computer! Apple keyboard connects to USB2 port in back, purchased a 4-port USB 3 hub, compatible with 2. Connected to one of 2 USB3 ports left side of screen for convenience, potentially less wear & tear on the built in ports since I use them frequently to back up to an external drive.

Found a VGA to Mini Displayport adapter at Microcenter. Hoped for DP to Mini DP adapter, but they were out. Display came with both VGA & DP cables.

No built in audio, so am trying my wireless Bose speaker. Is working OK with a Youtube music video. Will see how it behaves when computer restarts after overnight shut-down. Much better than wired speakers with all the spaghetti.
FWIW: Recently I put a surge strip on a corner of my desktop for easier access. (Had it on the floor previously).

After all cables were in place, it couldn't find the VGA signal. I unplugged the adapter (connected to cable), plugged back in, Voila! Looks great, though rather bright. - May experiment with brightness control eventually. But the crisper response time was a welcome surprise.

Poobah
posted Hide Post
PS: Packaged with stand separate. Easy to set up - did it all myself. - Very well thought out, and I downloaded the manual to study it ahead of time. However it is a somewhat heavy stand, seems very sturdy. Much smaller box than my previous monitor had, which was a "just lift it out, plug everything in" type.

iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
There are many sources for DP to mini-DP cables. Mine work quite well. See https://www.amazon.com/Monopri...-Cable/dp/B0034X6SCY for one example. The cables are passive, simply changing the connector size and pinout appropriately.

Posts: 1964 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim. I found some online, but frankly was impatient to just get the monitor going rather than waiting for shipment of an adapter. Probably DP to mini-DP is a better option in current technology. - May give it a go eventually. For now, it's working, my wireless speaker works (mostly - may turn itself off if it doesn't detect sound for 30 minutes, even though I have it plugged in.)
- Now to get rid of some other 10-year-old gadgets/machines showing their age.