Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mini-Reviews & Recommendations    CS6 work on MacBook Pro MA609LL/A or similar?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CS6 work on MacBook Pro MA609LL/A or similar?
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
posted
I have the Adobe CS6 software (on CDs) that I would like to use on a laptop I am planning on buying. I have a great desktop but need a laptop. This is my very first Apple laptop that I would be buying so I know very little about what I am looking for.

Being a freelancer, I need something cheap (under $400) to travel with. That said, I have been looking at Apple clearance, refurbs and ebay, but am not sure what requirements I need to look for to make sure CS6 will work properly on the laptop. There is nothing worse than buying a laptop only to find out that the software will not work on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Natalie

Posts: 462 | Location: Livonia | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
System requirements are at http://helpx.adobe.com/x-produ...ystem%20requirements

Should work on any Intel Mac as long as you have enough disk and memory. There may be some programs that require better graphics or more dis/memory than others; it may depend a lot on which programs you must have and which you can live without (if any).

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jack!

Posts: 462 | Location: Livonia | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
15" MacBook Pro should be your goal. Unibody style (black keys) would be my choice over earlier models. Better screen and graphics card make it a better value. RAM and hard drive can be upgraded fairly inexpensively at a later date.

You may want to increase your budget if possible as these models are running between $800-1,200 right now. Skip the 2008/09 models as you will get more "bang for your buck" on 2010 and newer versions.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2119 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
posted Hide Post
Dave,
What about a Macbook Air? I have a nice desktop to do graphics on that I recently bought, but this laptop would be something for the road. Is the Air not as good of a buy as the Pro? I've heard different things from different people.
And I will probably be increasing my budget, because I do want something that will last, but I also want a good deal-I figured black friday would be a good time to buy?

Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Will you be using this notebook to show work to customers/light editing or as a secondary workhorse?

The MacBook Air is great for a lot of uses but not my first choice for heavy lifting. You also have limited storage and non-ungradable RAM. Most used Airs are treated like rental cars...

MacBook Pro's have more options for upgrades plus an optical drive. If you need to do work, they will handle the effort better.

You will need to decide what is better for your needs, but a little more computer might last you longer.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2119 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
posted Hide Post
Minor revisions and possible show customers. I just want to make sure that what ever laptop I get it can handle the CS6 suite. I appreciate your comparison of the Air. It can help me better decide what is best. One of my biggest pet peeves early on in my career was getting a cheaper desktop mac "to start with" only to find that I maxed it out all the way with no more options for upgrade ability. I am just trying to see what other designers use to cart around from place to place. Thanks for your insight Dave!