Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mini-Reviews & Recommendations    Need UPS recommendation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need UPS recommendation
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Rick
posted
Can someone give me a recommendation for a UPS power backup unit? I've been reading a number of reviews that warn against using an APC unit on a Mac. They seem to be the best known brand and I'm concerned about using a no-name brand. I have a 4 year old 21 inch screen iMac running the latest version of Mavericks

Posts: 621 | Location: Southfield | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Rick:

We have about 6 APC UPSs here at home and would not buy any other brand. At the last meeting Terry White flat out recommended APC as what he uses. We use them on our home theater system for ethernet switch and TiVo backup.

Who said not to use APC on a Mac? The connectivity software for APC is built right into Mac OS X and has been for quite some time.

Posts: 1640 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Rick,

To recommend a specific unit, we must determine the total normal load, including external drives and what run-time is required. Also, do you want over and under voltage protection. Back-UPS does not have AVR (automatic voltage regulation) while Back-UPS Pro does have AVR and is only slightly more expensive. Without more data from you, my recommendation would be the APC BR700G, http://www.amazon.com/APC-Back...System/dp/B002RCNX8K.

I've been recommending and using APC UPS for home electronics and computers by the score (+/-) since the early 90s. I have never had power-induced damage to equipment powered by an APC UPS. In fact, I believe that the protection from short outages has lengthened the lifetime of the protected equipment.

My own list of APC UPS powered equipment has included at one time or another:
B&W G4, Dual 2GHZ G5, Flexo-Lamp G4 iMac, several G3 iMacs, G5 iMac, G4 Mini, several Intel Minis of various vintages, Wintel laptops, MacBook, MacBook Air, multiple MacBook Pro, two different generation Airport Extremes, a passel of external drives, Sony TV, Sharp TVs, DVD players.

I can't list the systems of the people I support, but they have had the same results.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: James R. Cutler,

Posts: 1964 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Rick
posted Hide Post
Can APC units run their PowerChute software on Mavericks? Unless I'm reading outdated info, everything I've read says No. That's why those articles say APC is not for a Mac.

Posts: 621 | Location: Southfield | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Rick:

Here is the direct Toll Free number for APC tech support, 800-800-4272.

Suggest that you call them directly and ask. I have never had the need to use the software because Mac OS X has always had the support built in.

You might also call Apple Care and ask them if the software is needed.

Posts: 1640 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick:
Can APC units run their PowerChute software on Mavericks? Unless I'm reading outdated info, everything I've read says No. That's why those articles say APC is not for a Mac.

NO! PowerChute software for the Mac has not been usable, except to crash your machine, for many years. Don't even try to install it.

The authors of those articles are unaware that OS X has supported UPS monitoring for many years. Just connect the USB cable. The Energy Saver Preference Pane will then show a UPS tab.

USB Tab - Energy Saver

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Rick
posted Hide Post
Me and a friend today bought an APC Bn600G ups battery. Under the Menu bar I have a 100% charge but it says ( greyed out) Unknown time remaining and Power source: Power adapter. Can anyone tell me why the menu bar is not keeping track of time remaining and why are those items greyed out? This is also happenning on my friends laptop plus on hers, the 100% is also greyed out and she has no shutdown options in her Energy Preferences. Would things be better if we downloaded the PowerChute software? I have an iMac running the latest OS and my friend has a MacBook Pro with the latest OS. Thanks for your help.

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
To the best of my knowledge using a battery backup with a Mac Laptop does not give the same options you would get if you were using a desk top computer. I was told that is because the laptop has it own battery and as a result the UPS software does not work the same. It did not work for me when I tried using a MacBook Pro connected to an APC UPS.

Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
On yours, it says Unknown time remaining because it's not currently using the battery backup. It's getting full power, so it doesn't need to access the backup battery

As to your friend's laptop, it doesn't need an APC. It has its own battery. She is, in effect using a battery to backup a battery. With a laptop, when the power goes out, it just uses its own battery.

APC units are not intended to run your computer for extended periods. They are meant to give you a chance to finish whatever you're in the middle of, and to do a clean shutdown.

I don't think PowerChute even works with the current operating system.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3765 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phyllis Evans:
...I don't think PowerChute even works with the current operating system.

PowerChute for the Mac has not worked on any Mac OS or OS X system since sometime last century.

DO NOT LOAD APC PowerChute ON MAC OS OR OS X!!
  • IT will CRASH YOUR SYSTEM.
  • SUPPORT FOR UPS IS BUILT INTO OS X.
  • IT JUST WORKS!

Strongly worded message could follow, but I'm trying to be gentle.