Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mini-Reviews & Recommendations    A universal bookmark-free
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A universal bookmark-free
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
If you use more than one browser, you may wish for a way to save a bookmark ONCE, that is accessible by any browser.
I've been using the free version of Quiet Read for some time. It places an icon in the desktop menu bar. Select an url and drag to the "coffee cup" icon to save it. Then access a site with any open browser.
Pro version for 9.95, extra features.
http://bambooapps.com/free-stuff/

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven Klein
posted Hide Post
I use and recommend Xmarks, which auto-syncs bookmarks between multiple browsers, even multiple computers.

For example, I can add a bookmark in Safari, and it automatically shows up in FireFox and Chrome, and even in IE on my Windows 7!

--
Steven Klein Computer Service
Apple & A+ Certified
Your Mac, PC & Network Expert
Phone: (248) YOUR-MAC
or (248) 968-7622

Posts: 167 | Location: Southeast Michigan | Registered: April 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Matthew
posted Hide Post
Since I am using PC at work, Mac at home, Xmarks has been working for me...

Posts: 2 | Location: Michigan | Registered: April 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Does xmarks require 10.5 or greater? How about 10.4? PPC or Intel? It looks as if it only syncs your bookmarks for 90 days. Is this the most recent 90 days?

Posts: 2284 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven Klein
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donna:
Does xmarks require 10.5 or greater?

Yes. The requirements can be found here.

I have it running on both PowerPC and Intel Macs.

quote:
It looks as if it only syncs your bookmarks for 90 days.

I'm not sure why you think there's some 90 day limit. There is no time limit; and I couldn't find any reference to any 90 day limit.

(A couple years back Xmarks was on the verge of going out of business. They announced that they'd be shutting down in 90 days, but then they were acquired by LastPass. Perhaps you found references to that?)

--
Apple & A+ Certified
or (248) 968-7622

Posts: 167 | Location: Southeast Michigan | Registered: April 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Steve: I was looking under the specs for Premium to see what it offered to see if I would be interested. Itt says "Backup & Restore
Premium user's backup history will be stored for a longer period of time allowing you to view, restore, or export past bookmark collections beyond the standard 3 month window."

That led me to assume bookmarks were stored for 3 months.

Posts: 2284 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven Klein
posted Hide Post
quote:
That led me to assume bookmarks were stored for 3 months.

No, that's referring to restoring deleted bookmarks. If you delete a bookmark, you can restore it for up to 90 days with the standard free account.

But non-deleted bookmarks are stored indefinitely.

--
Apple & A+ Certified
or (248) 968-7622