Find
Notify
Tools

FM Radio App
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted
I wonder if any of the group can direct me to an App for the iPhone that will: Be a FM radio that I can select the stations by entering the frequency versus selecting from available stations. Reason: Some auditoriums have the ability to broadcast on a frequency that will only be used by the audience in attendance. This is done to accommodate the hearing challenged that may not be able to hear the speaker due to their limitations or due to background sound. The FM radio along with ear buds is a perfect solution.

Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.

Posts: 840 | Location: Farmington | Registered: March 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
I've played with a lot of radio apps, but I can't think of any that would do what you are looking for. No FM antenna in the iPhones or iPod touches. That said, the iPod nano has a true FM tuner built in and would pick up that type of transmission. A refurbed 16 GB is $99 through the Apple online store.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3773 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
Besides the Nano, which has the appropriate RF electronics (a built-in radio receiver), there are myriad tiny portable FM radios with headphones, at prices ranging from near-zero well into double digits. Some do have digital tuners with ability to set preselects.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
The problem is you're looking for an App to do something that isn't built into the iPhone hardware. You want to be able to pick up nearby broadcasts on your iPhone and hear them. There's no way that an App could do that without having the FM tuner hardware built-in. The reason you see FM radio apps that broadcast specific stations is that those stations are technically broadcasting to those apps via the internet.

You won't find an app to do that because there's no way for the app to pick up the broadcast without the hardware to do so.

As others have suggested here, you're better off with a nano.

quote:
Originally posted by George Little:
I wonder if any of the group can direct me to an App for the iPhone that will: Be a FM radio that I can select the stations by entering the frequency versus selecting from available stations. Reason: Some auditoriums have the ability to broadcast on a frequency that will only be used by the audience in attendance. This is done to accommodate the hearing challenged that may not be able to hear the speaker due to their limitations or due to background sound. The FM radio along with ear buds is a perfect solution.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted Hide Post
Thanks Phyllis and guys, As usual the BB has come through again. So the decision is to purchase a budget minded FM radio. I already have an iPhone and iPod so I'm all set.

Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.

Posts: 840 | Location: Farmington | Registered: March 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post