Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mini-Reviews & Recommendations    Looking for sync app for folders
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for sync app for folders
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
Friends all,
I use SuperDuper for backing up drives. However, it doesn't appear to have a feature that synchronizes at the folder level. Any recommendations?

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
To clarify: It's for my genealogy collection (all 15 GB!) As I add new items to a main / master folder, would like to sync with an external drive backup folder so the new files are added, and any reorganizing also included (example: deleting duplicate files, moving a file to a different folder, etc.) without having to copy over the entire master folder each time. (Currently a USB2 connection takes 10-12 minutes to copy an entire master folder with everything.)
- This is similar to what SuperDuper does with drives, but at a folder level rather than drive level. (Hope this makes sense)

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
If you are using an external hard drive for your backup - how about letting the Finder sync the contents of the Folder? Select the contents of the new/updated Folder, then drag and drop them onto the Folder of the external hard drive. I don't know if I'm explaining this clearly, so I've attached a screen shot sample. Since you'd have multiple new/updated files, you could check "Apply to All" before choosing Replace.

Drag and Drop in Finder

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Open a free SugarSync account. You can point it to specific folders or subfolders. As soon as a document is added to or deleted from a linked folder, it will mirror on their server. I use it in conjunction with my SuperDuper, Time Machine & Deja Vu.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3765 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
You might want to consider a paid copy of SuperDuper. That will update only folder(s) that have a newer date on the source.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.
Mike, Maybe I'm mistaken, but if I follow your suggestion, I think the older folder is replaced rather than synchronized, and I'm back to copying over the whole thing.

Phyl - Will look into it.

Donna - I checked my copy of SD, and it IS registered, with serial no., therefore I must have purchased. (Oh the years go by!) I understand the "smart update" feature for backing up at drive level and use it routinely. However, I'd like to be able to sync a single folder only.

- Am going to do what I should have in the first place and look over SD User Guide. Will report on results.

Poobah
posted Hide Post
REPORT:
SugarSync provides only 5 GB free. Dropbox only 2 GB, and would require paying for extra space, as I need a minimum of 15 GB. I purchased an OWC external drive to commit to this project. It has tons of space, so don't want to go the route of paying a cloud service.

SDuper has a scripts feature for setting up potential folder-level sync, but it's somewhat technical and complicated. May try to figure it out, or keep looking for a dedicated app.

Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Check Deja Vu. Not free ($29), but it works in the background and is easy to set up.

Deja Vu

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3765 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Jo Disler:

Mike, Maybe I'm mistaken, but if I follow your suggestion, I think the older folder is replaced rather than synchronized, and I'm back to copying over the whole thing.

Mary Jo, Yes, if you drag the folder "itself" from your computer to your backup external drive, it would probably replace the folder (not sync it), as you mentioned.

However, if you selected just the entire "contents (files)" of the folder instead and dragged them to the folder on the external drive - the Finder would add any new files and ask to replace any updated files of the same name. It's not necessarily the ideal synchronized scenario, but it's free since you'd just be utilizing the Finder.

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
See page 10 of the User's Guide pdf re: Copy Newer and Copy Different.
If you’re running an unregistered copy of SuperDuper!, you can only choose Erase, then copy.... This option erases the destination volume before writing to it. While this ensures that the result is an exact copy, if you’re performing a second or third backup, it also copies all your data over again, taking extra time.
Smart Update... is similar, in that the result is an exact copy of the source. The difference is that it only copies (or deletes) files and folders as necessary. This takes much less time after the first backup, doing in minutes what could otherwise take hours.
Copy newer and Copy different, the other two During Copy options, control what SuperDuper! does when it copies a file from a folder on the source volume to the destination, and finds there’s already a file in that location with the same name.
When Copy newer is selected, the file on the destination is replaced with the one from the source if the file on the source has a newer (more recent) modification date.
Copy different replaces the file on the destination if the source file is different (not necessarily newer) in date, size, HFS+ metadata, attributes,etc. So, the file on the destination is replaced if it’s not exactly the same as the source file.
In both cases, files on the destination that are not on the source are left as- is.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Poobah
posted Hide Post
A solution right under my nose:
FINALLY had time to install some software bundled with an OWC On-the-go drive purchased last fall (!!!)
A copy of Prosoft Data Backup 3 was included (with s/n: not a demo). Took just a few minutes after install to set source (laptop) & destination (OWC drive) folders. Didn't time the backup, as I set the entire 15GB folder to backup, but it didn't take long by USB2.

Backup choices are "Simple copy, clone, versioned, synchronize" For a first time, used "simple copy." Will study the other types, but am guessing "versioned" might provide only actual changes. We'll see.
http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_backup.php
======
P.S. The Prosoft site specifies a price of $49 for Data Backup 3. This is nearly half the cost of the drive, so the purchase was a real value.