Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mini-Reviews & Recommendations    Home Color Laser Printer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Color Laser Printer
 Login/Register

<aasteve>
posted
Hi,

I'm tired of buying inkjet printers that only last a couple of years and drain ink badly. Does anyone have any recommendations for a color, personal laser printer? My wish list is that it do duplex and possibly be wireless. Our usage is not that heavy (10 pages/week) and we won't be printing any photos to keep on it. Doesn't have to be multi-function, but this could be a plus.

Thanks...

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Xerox Phaser

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
HP Color Laserjet.
I've had this one since April 2011. Didn't change starter ink cartridges until December, and I generally go through a ream a month.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3773 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Andrew
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I'm with Terry on this one; the Xerox Phaser 6280DN is the printer I have.

It performs really well.

It's quite an investment to replace the toner cartridges; however, they last a very long time and are probably cheaper over time compared to ink-jet cartridges. I believe this would be the case with any laser printer you would choose... Your usage is really minimal.

On another note, I haven't looked back since switching from an ink-jet to laser printer several years ago.

Best of luck in finding a good solution to fit your needs.

Posts: 152 | Registered: December 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Agree that Phaser is the way to go. Have had my 8550 for years and it's still going strong.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Padawan
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Xerox. I have the 6130 at home, the 6280DN & 7750 at work. They are all solid performers.

Posts: 77 | Registered: August 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
No quibbles with any of the opinions. The current Xerox color laser models are probably excellent. I had a first generation model that did great printing (you'd be surprised at the quality of photos!), but changing the cartridges turned out to be a real bear.
- Be sure the model you consider has a convenient method for changing cartridges.
- I replaced the Xerox 2 or 3 years ago with an HP Color Laserjet CP1518ni, on sale at the time in an office store for a great price. Actually the print quality turned out better than the old Xerox. Cartridge change couldn't be easier, and "life" is good. (I do a lot of printing). It's a tad slow sometimes, but not a real problem.
- Not currently in the market for a new printer, but whatever the make, I will spend extra to get duplexing the next time to save on paper. Depends on the amount & type printing you do.

In researching price, keep an eye on office store ads (as well as Amazon or other sellers). Sometimes I think the companies get rid of excess inventory on some models through office stores when new ones are coming out. Deals can be great, maybe even with some trade-in credit. This week's Staples email offers an extra 20% on any one item purchased, and printers aren't mentioned as "excluded."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Jo Disler,

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
One more thought: When printing black only from a color laser printer, be sure to set the driver for "black/gray" only. If it picks up a "rich black" (a mix of black with some color for a more vivid result), it may use a color cartridge surprisingly fast. I wondered why yellow was running out rather quickly for awhile, when I wasn't printing much full color. Then I remembered "rich black" cmyk (rgb?). I made a driver setting for black/gray only and saved it as a preset option. Seems to have made a difference.

Don't know if this is also an inkjet issue. Others here may know.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post