Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mini-Reviews & Recommendations    Need a hotkey utility recommendation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a hotkey utility recommendation
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
Friends, A computer update odyssey of the past 2 weeks or so led to my purchase & install of Mountain Lion (OS 10.8) to replace 10.6.8.

Alas, I lost my favorite hotkey utility that was like a third hand: Xkeys. Used it (mostly) for opening applications with just one or 2 key-presses. Also possible to open specific docs (my password list, for example).

Looking for recommendations. I don't need anything exotic, just something simple, tried & true. Thanks so much. (I miss the huge time savings and convenience of Xkeys, but ---------)

PS: Thanks Phyl for recommending Appzapper. I sailed down the Applications folder and zapped apps crossed out by the upgrade because they were no longer functional. (Did I really need that thing-a-ma-bob dated 2003?)

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Mary Jo:

Here is one to look at.

Posts: 1642 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Thanks Brian. Had a few web runarounds, but eventually downloaded from the macupdate site OK.

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Not related to this "hotkey utility" topic, but FYO, in case anyone buys an earlier Mac OS from the App site:
The purchase was routine, but OS 10.7 & 10.8 had to be downloaded according to instructions received by email. BE SURE to read them carefully. They involve code numbers for the download access. All worked OK, but important to understand the process.

EACH OS download took nearly 5 hours over DSL, 2nd tier speed level from AT&T. No hitches - just lots of time. BE SURE to set Sys Prefs Energy Saver so "Computer sleep" is "Never."

TO SAVE A COPY OF THE DOWNLOADED INSTALLER: Locate it in the Applications Folder WITHOUT DOING THE INSTALL right away. (It opens as soon as the download is complete.) I saved a copy to an attached backup drive, and had to get dual layer DVD's to burn copies. Standard DVD wasn't quite big enough, and refused the burn.

AFTER saving copies however you decide, then go ahead and open the installer. Why do the copies first? - Because after the install, the downloaded installer evaporates. It apparently deletes itself.

Hope this helps if you have older machines you'd like to keep active. (Experts - If I missed something, add your comments.)

Poobah
posted Hide Post
PS: OS 10.8 installs directly over 10.6.8. No real need for 10.7. (I purchased Lion anyway for potential use on an older MacPro laptop.)