Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mini-Reviews & Recommendations    Experience, opinions of Evernote
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Experience, opinions of Evernote
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
Evernote keeps popping up in recommendations here & there. Based on simple descriptions, I wonder what it does that can't be done with simply keeping a folder relating to a topic.

AND, any recommendations of other similar type software. Thanks much.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
I've used Evernote for about 5 years now, and it has been great for fast captures of info I find on the internet, but the company has become greedy. It requires an annual subscription if you want to be able to access your data offline. I think they started that maybe 2 years ago.

Last year I started the switch to Microsoft OneNote. It's free, keeps my notes in sync between my computers, iPads and iPhone. I can even access my notes on my Apple Watch. All you need is a free Microsoft ID & password. It lets you set up multiple notebooks with multiple sections and pages. It's easy to work with and gives you a lot of formatting control. I've even started using it for composing articles for a newsletter that I edit.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/ap...te/id784801555?mt=12

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3780 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Thanks Phyl. I saw OneNote in somebody's review, but always appreciate a first-person experience. Yes, noticed the references to fees now for various levels of Evernote.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of James Fox
posted Hide Post
I am with you, Mary Jo. I downloaded Evernote, primarily because it has a version for the Blackberry OS. I had high hopes for it, but it is collecting dust.

I have note heard of OneNote. I am a Psychologist, and it used to be you had to keep your note HIPPA compliant format only if you billed insurances electronically. Now you have to do it for everyone. Something like Evernote would be very handy ... I am going to look into OneNote as I do not use my phone for records

Posts: 1 | Location: Newburgh, Indiana | Registered: October 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
One good thing with One Note is that you can password protect specific sections within your notebooks.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3780 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post