Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mini-Reviews & Recommendations    Alternative to vuescan software?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alternative to vuescan software?
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
My recent intel iMac upgrade has left my Canon lide 20 scanner paralyzed. Doesn't seem like there is any hope of Canon updating drivers for this model.

I've demoed vuescan and it seems like a solid piece of software, but it costs as much as the scanner did brand new.

Is there a decent alternative?

Thanks,
Brian

Posts: 232 | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
I couldn't find anything for mine. Ended up getting a newer Canon for around $70 and donating the 20 to a Windows user.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Posts: 3525 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Can the new LiDE 90 software work with the older LiDE 20 model? Canon may say it doesn't work (officially speaking), but maybe it works "unofficially?"

If you decide to buy another LiDE scanner, be aware of its pros and cons. It's portable - all you need is a spare USB port. It's great for scanning stuff at the library. But the scan quality for (dot printed or halftone) photos can be poor due to moiré. Even a $150 scanner will scan images better, but you may also need a good despeckling tool (like that found in VueScan). Many scanners come with despeckling tools today (including the LiDE 90), but GIGO applies here. Incidentally, there were no improvements in anything between the LiDE 70 & 90 models. A 70 (at a substantial discount) is just as good as a 90.

If any Adobe executives are reading this iBBS Wink, a good despeckling tool would be a welcome addition to PhotoShop and InDesign. The blur tools and other filters just don't cut it: it's too much work for too little gain. Please offer a high quality DSP-based despeckling filter or moire removal tool, hopefully with user-adjustable screen angles, or an intelligent algorithm to determine screen angles and exact CMYK colors. The end goal is a good RGB image file.

VueScan is the latest game in town. Hamrick knows how to write software - very generic and cross platform. SilverFast is dead in the water - it's essentially not releasing drivers for new scanners, and just living off its "cash cow" from past glories (older, overpriced, underperforming scanners). As those scanners break, SilverFast loses customers from attrition. SilverFast has lost all motivation to improve SilverFast. SilverFast software is not generic, so they need to write "custom" software for each new scanner, which is too expensive to do, judging by their lack of new offerings. Almost everything SilverFast does can be done well in other software - SilverFast offers very expensive one-application-does-it-all packages that simplify the workflow by not having to move images between various applications. In the end, all professionals use other apps, so they have to jump between apps anyway. SilverFast is offering 1998 products in a 2008 world. Plugins offer a great deal of extra functionality in other software, but SilverFast isn't that flexible. It's dying a slow death.

SilverFast is ColorSync compliant - VueScan says nothing about color management or ColorSync.

You have 41 minutes left to buy a Canon LiDE 70 on eBay for $43.

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
VueScan covers many, many scanners and is very stable. I use it with my LIDE-20.

Posts: 2115 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
I have modest needs for a scanner, that is why I chose the cheapy to begin with. The LiDE 20 has served me well over the years.

So it looks like I'm down to two choices:
1.) Vue Scan - $40
2.) New Scanner - $70ish

Thanks for the feedback.
Brian

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Since the LIDE 20 has served your needs, I suggest you get VueScan. That software will work with your present scanner or future scanner you might get, even a different brand. They update VueScan regularly to add new scanners and updates are free. It's money well spent.

Posts: 2115 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
VueScan is not ColorSync compliant - if anyone requires that. It doesn't allow you to see true color within the application.

Late Notice: VueScan uses LittleCMS for platform independent color management. It's also free and open source for UNIX. I don't know how well it works. Some guy from H-P wrote most of it in cooperation with MIT apparently.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chuck M,

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R.:
I have modest needs for a scanner, that is why I chose the cheapy to begin with. The LiDE 20 has served me well over the years.

So it looks like I'm down to two choices:
1.) Vue Scan - $40
2.) New Scanner - $70ish

Thanks for the feedback.
Brian

With prices that close, I would go with the new scanner. You'll have a new and possible more capable product. Warranty for the mechanical aspects will come with the new purchase.

Just my 2 cents to get you to spend your 70,000 cents. Smile

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1671 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
According to Canon's website, both the LiDE 25 and 90 have Leopard Support. However, I'm trying to find real world results as to what Leopard Support actually means.

If the $49.99 LiDE 25 will actually work for me, that is probably the route I'll take.

Thanks,
Brian