Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mini-Reviews & Recommendations    Looking for a recommendation - External DVD Drive
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a recommendation - External DVD Drive
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted
Any recommendations for an external DVD Drive for Mac? The Slim Samsung one I bought didn’t even last a year of light use.

I mostly use one to RIP CDs. Yes, I still buy CDs. Plus I need to re-rip many of my CDs.

Posts: 2094 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
I have been using this one on my late 2013 MacPro and it works every time. It was purchased 1-21-2014 from Amazon. It will do everything including Blu-Ray. Link

Posts: 1640 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Not looking to spend that much money, don't really need Blu-ray capabilities. This one is only $24.75 The one that died on me was also under $25

LG Electronics 8X USB 2.0 Super Multi Ultra Slim Portable DVD+/-RW External D... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OD..._tw_dp_plCMwb1EKHDJF

Posts: 2094 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Or should I go with a better build and something like this? $80 refurbished

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer...ondition=refurbished

Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
I like the Apple Superdrive that is now $79 (down from $99) because AppleCare covers it for 3 years when I bought my iMac. Since I have no need for Blu-Ray right now, I see it as a long time investment.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2101 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
I decided to order the $80 refurbished LG Blu-ray drive. I had not heard of the new M-DISC media, guess my drive that died had it too. Up to 128GB discs that last 1000 years! The media is pricey though.

Poobah
posted Hide Post

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the LG. It was one that I was considering.

In the meantime, I ended up scavaging an old SuperDrive from a G4 tower and putting it into an old FireWire case and that's been holding me over.

Posts: 237 | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Not going to offer a recommendation. However my preference is to spend a bit more within reason, and expect a more robust product - meaning more longevity, potentially less hassles.

I purchased a Pawtec that was one of few that offered Lightscribe printing. It does the job, as I don't need it often, but is NOT a very robust product. Ideas:
La Cie
Newegg - search for DVD burners (my search turned up 555), and sort starting with highest prices to see a few recognizable brands. Their price on the Apple unit was well over $100, but there were Pioneer & Buffalo units.
Good luck!

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Am spending a bit of time on this topic, as I may be interested in a better device some day. Had a LaCie burner with Lightscribe that I loved, but it conked out about a year ago.
MORE IDEAS:

OWC, $39, USB2 external burner

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MRSSDSDT8X/

A search in their external burners category has numerous results, though higher priced. May be worth a look.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop...wire/optical-drives/

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Poobah
posted Hide Post
I did check out OWC as well during my search.

I decided to go this with more expensive one for long term use. It's not a laptop drive like the slim ones, it's USB 3.0, and I'll be able to archive to Blu-ray. At 1st I was thinking I could skip Blu-ray, but I realize now I'll be using it more for archiving, especially to M-DISCs.

It arrived today, just ripped an audio CD, now burning a Dual Layer DVD.

http://www.lg.com/us/burners-d...al-blu-ray-dvd-drive