Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mini-Reviews & Recommendations    Anyone have experience with Mustek scanners?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have experience with Mustek scanners?
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
I've been considering getting a large format scanner, but still looking at options. Not a necessity, but nice for some large genealogy items.

Any experience with Mustek?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ...256640_email_1p_0_lm

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Another route: Do portable scanners work with 11 x 17 size paper? (Example: copies of historical probate documents, etc.)

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Well, looks like they are oriented to A3 size paper, not the common trim size in USA.

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
What you want to consider is: do you need a flatbed scanner or can you feed documents through? Fragile documents might be damaged if you have to feed them through rollers. If you don't have too many, perhaps Kinkos or similar would be a solution.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Thanks Donna. I have several photocopies of essential oversize documents, but would like to digitize them. Brian Stone recommended doing 2 opposite end scans, then doing a photo merge.
- May try that. PS Elements did a fantastic job of merging some photos I had to take in segments of some oversize items, when found in the possession of a private party who was very helpful.

I appreciate your answer - very relevant.

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
The Fujitsu ScanSnap scanner has a "carrier sheet"
sleeve that you insert fragile or too small documents
into to scan them.

Also, in the same carrier sheet, you can take an 11x17 document,
fold it in half. When scanned there are settings that will
place those two opposite sides as one page.
I've done this for many oversized pages I've scanned,
works great.

Posts: 1615 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Here'd a link to a pdf about using the carrier sheet. It looks like they have software for Windows that will generate an 11x17 document from your folded input. It does tell you how to use the carrier in general though. If you had a really fragile document you might not want to fold it though.
http://scansnap.fujitsu.com/do...P3PC-1042-01ENZ0.pdf

Chita's post implies there is a Mac version also. I have an S1300i. This is the smaller version that does duplex scanning. I wonder if this would work with that one also.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post