Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Mini-Reviews & Recommendations    Acrobat substitute ideas
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Acrobat substitute ideas
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
Friends,
I have Acrobat Pro 9 installed on my desktop and one laptop computer. Would like a cheaper, basic app for my 2nd laptop (2012 MacBook Pro, OS 10.10.5) Have been using iSkysoft PDF Editor Pro, but it leaves a lot to be desired. Crashes a lot. I've lost patience.

I use Acrobat quite a lot for reading, highlighting, bookmarking downloaded public domain stuff, maybe some links within a document. Otherwise don't use the super-advanced features. Any ideas?

Reader DC keeps wanting to egg you into the cloud subscription version.

Thanks for ideas. (Amazon has Acrobat 2017 listed, but at about $439. I wouldn't qualify for the student-teacher edition.)

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Try Apple's own Preview app. It will let you do just about everything to a PDF. I actually prefer it for some things, and have it set as the default PDF app on my iMac, even though I have Acrobat Pro.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3765 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
I didn't know Preview was that useful.

Posts: 417 | Location: greater detroit area | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
I even use it to resize photos, adjust saturation, exposure, etc. It's fast and handy. And, of course, the price is right. Free.

—P M Evans

Posts: 3765 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
The downside...
A PDF viewed in Preview might not
display all of the content of that PDF.
Content that will display in Acrobat.
That’s why I avoid Preview opening PDFs.

Posts: 1614 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
I've never seen that happen, Chita. Can you give me an example of data that might not display properly?

—P M Evans

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
I’ve created PDFs from some high-end
programs like InDesign or Photoshop,
where all of the content did not show
up when the PDF was viewed in Preview.

Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
I use InDesign to produce everything from an 8-page newsletter to multi-page restaurant menus to raffle tickets and have never had a problem. It's possible that you didn't have InDesign set to embed fonts in the document.

—P M Evans

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
No. My InDesign settings are good.
Some fonts, but mainly graphical content
did not display or did not display correctly.
I don't know if Preview just isn't robust enough.
But, I saw the occurrence enough times (and not just
on my PDFs) to justify keeping Preview from opening my PDFs.
Prior to that discovery, I used Preview often. It does
have some great features. But, this is not a happening
that I can work with.

Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
While Preview app might falter under some higher end challenges, it is an underrated resource for many users' day to day needs. I use it frequently for some photo tweaking and cropping; it has many tools for annotating PDFs (add text, underline, highlighting, etc. A most useful function is the easy ability to add a signature to a document.
OSX Daily has a number of articles on available operations using Preview.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Thanks all - I've read about Preview's pdf features, but haven't really tried them seriously. Will take a look.

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Heavens! The OSXDaily linked by Chuck has articles on Preview/pdf going back to 2013 (see "next page") - Also the numerous tips for images. ! Where have I been! Thanks Chuck. Again - all who contributed here.
PS: Apple Support page https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201740