Find
Notify
Tools

Apple Air Pods
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted
The Apple Air Pods are a surprisingly great product to me. I mean, I had no doubts they would be good but they ended up being so much better than expected.

First, they have all the Apple Magic when you take them out of the box. Ooh and Aah moments happen. (It does have a resemblance to a package of dental floss) They feel comfortable to wear even if the first 5-10 seconds give you a "will these fall out?" moment. After that you become more assured that they won't. Even shaking your head hard and jumping around like the "village idiot", they just don't fall out.

After you put the first one in your ear, you hear a mellow chime alerting you that they have a charge. My iPhone then asked if I wanted to pair them. Clicked Pair and that was it. Opened Apple Music app and started playing some tunes. The sound is what really surprised me. Very nice bass response and clear audio for such a small product. Thats it... no other steps required.

You can go into Bluetooth settings and make some minor adjustments for the double tap to work with Siri (default setting) or Play/Pause.

Apple claims they will play for up to 5-6 hours before a recharge is needed. If you place them back in the charging case for 15 minutes you can get another 3 hours of use. Fully charged case will let you charge the Air Pods about 5 times before needing to connect a lightning cable (included) to a power source.

There is even a button on the back of the charging case that will unpair the Air Pods, so someone else can use them. And "No" you can't share one Air Pod for someone else to listen to.

The Apple Air Pods are not advertise as noise cancelling, but when you are using them they have that sensation of being noise cancelling.

While I would have preferred that the Apple Air Pods were less expensive, after using them for a few days I think I got more than my monies worth. They would be a good deal at $199 but I am glad they are only $159.

You can try out a pair at your local Apple store today.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2106 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Why can't you share one AirPod with another person? Could you have only one AirPod in and still be able to listen yourself? Or do you have always have to have both EarPods inserted?

Posts: 2269 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
They didn't design the Air Pods to work that way. Maybe to prevent someone from listening in on a private phone call?

You CAN use only one Air Pod at a time. It will automatically change from stereo to mono sound.

I have had some issue with the double tap feature. Perhaps I am tapping to softly to activate Siri.

Dave McGuire

Posts: 2106 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
I was wrong about the ability to share Air Pods.

I read an article the other day where the writer mentioned using the Air Pods with his wife on New Years Eve. At first I thought he took creative license with this story. Then I read another post from someone else who had the same results.

Last night I had my wife help me try out this scenario. She put one of my Air Pods in her ear and I used the other. Played a song and we both could hear it!

Next up will be trying a phone call and testing how far apart we can be before losing connection. More to follow!

Dave McGuire