Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iWork    Pages resolution
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pages resolution
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Rhea
posted
I am using Pages layout in iWork 9. I am preparing a little booklet about using color for my students. My graphic files were done in Adobe Illustrator and photoshop and were also saved to Pdf files. My question is should I use the AI or PDF versions in Pages. I want the best resolution and color accuracy as possible.

Posts: 174 | Location: Oak Park MI USA | Registered: October 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Since you have and are using Illustrator and Photoshop, why not use InDesign for your layout if you have it? It would just be my preference.

If you have the original Illustrator and Photoshop files I'd recommend using those if your version of Pages will accept them. By creating PDF files, you are just going through an extra step that really isn't necessary.

Regarding resolution: since Illustrator is vector-based it will print crisp at any size (as long as you haven't placed any resolution dependent files into it, like photos). If you are preparing the booklet for print, you should have your Photoshop images at 300 dpi/ppi minimum, to the size that they will print.

Regarding color accuracy: it's imperative to set up a color managed workflow in order to get predictable color results. Meaning all programs, printers, scanners, monitors and commercial printing profiles. The Adobe Suite helps to make it a little easier to manage color across its programs - Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, etc.

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Rhea
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike. I don't have indesign. This is probably the only time I would ever use it and I am not intending for this to be a professional job. You gave me the answer I really needed. I will use the Illustrator files. I always use 300 dpi for PS.
Thanks so much.

Rhea

Posts: 174 | Location: Oak Park MI USA | Registered: October 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post