Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iWork    Keynote saved as Powerpoint type problem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Keynote saved as Powerpoint type problem
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
My daughter did a keynote presentation and we had to save it as a powerpoint file. She said the type came out funny "on top of each other". Is there something I can do to make this not happen? I dont have a pc or powerpoint. We made it on a ipad 2.

Thanks Kelly

Posts: 353 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
The computer it is opened on probably doesn't have the same fonts that were used. Send it to a friend with Office and see what happens.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2095 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
FWIW: In 2011 I did a Keynote of some family history and old pictures. To be sure other family members who are a mix of PC & Mac users could open the file, I exported to a variety of formats, including Powerpoint. They all seemed to show the slides OK, but transitions & effects animations were mostly lost in PP.

Not sure about font problems. Nobody who received the Keynote / PP files reported anything.

This is the essence of a ReadMe file included on the CD I sent:

Exports were done to several file formats that can be viewed on PC's.
ALL file formats use manual advance for the slides - even the Quicktime "movie" file. Press the forward arrow key.

1. BEST FULL SCREEN VERSION FILE; Requires a Mac computer:
(Keynote file, with effects & transitions), Manual advance for slides. With audio

2. MOVIE FILE: Quicktime.mov file should work on either Macs or PC's.
Transitions in the original Keynote file are preserved.
Full screen view not as high resolution as the original Keynote file. [I may have missed some better options for making a good movie file.]
Best viewing size is "Actual Size"
Manual advance for slides. With audio

3. POWERPOINT FILE: For PC's.
Most of the original transitions & effects are modified, based on PowerPoint capabilities.
Full screen view seems to be as high a resolution as the original Keynote file. (I couldn't assess this accurately. Powerpoint files open as Keynote files on Macs. However - after the export to .ppt - they play only the transitions native to .ppt, not the original Keynote effects.)
Manual advance for slides. With audio.

4. PDF FILE: universal
All slides are included, NO effects or transitions. (Some simple effects - example, adding text lines to a single page - are emulated by advancing the slides, not as animations)
Manual advance for slides. NO audio.

5. HTML FILE: for viewing with a web browser.
In folder: xxxxxxx
Open folder, then the "index.html" file.
All slides are included, Some effects or transitions emulated. NO audio.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Keynote on iPad is limited to Keynote, PDF, and PowerPoint format for exporting. So in this case, PDF might preserve the formatting (if it includes the fonts).

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5469 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Correction to my previous comments:
The original Keynote file DID advance automatically, and did not require manual advance. I tried all the formats again to double check.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post