Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iWork    new to iwork
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

new to iwork
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
I'm new to iwork. My wife and I volunteer as friends of the commerce Township Library. In that capacity we have been given the groups mailing list(for contact purposes). It is in .xlr format. How can we open it to read and use it in iword? thanks, Paul

Posts: 152 | Location: Commerce Township | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
That's a Microsoft Works format. You can't open it with iWork. You need a converter such as MacLink Plus.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5469 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
If you happen to have an old version of AppleWorks, you might try opening it with that. I happen to have an old version, AppleWorks 6, that actually still can launch within Leopard. I've managed to open various Microsoft Office files in the past with it (though occasionally, it may lose some formatting).

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Here's a discussion of the same issue.

http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-46319.html

The solutions that stand out are these (quoted below). Changing the file extension to .xls worked in this case (the Excel extension). Don't know if iWork opens Excel files, but worth a try.

I purchased MarinerCalc, which is a nice replacement for the spreadsheet element of Appleworks, but I don't do SS work much.
======
Discussion quotes:

[SOLUTION #1] The files you have that are xlr are not true Excel files. They are Microsoft Works files. Those can't be opened directly on your Mac. You will need to go back to the PC and make sure that in Save As, you save them as Excel files and not Works files. Then the extension will be xls (which stands for Excel SpreadSheet).
--------
[SOLUTION #2]
This may not work on more complicated .xlr files, but i have found that simply changing the extension to .xls will allow these files to open in Excel flawlessly.

I received an attachment with an xlr extension and followed the advice of mic.dee. Changing the extension from xlr to xls worked like a charm. I was able to open it in Excel. Thank you!

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Just thought of another long shot:

Try changing the extension to .csv

OR, see if the MS Works file can be saved as a .csv file.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Paul, I have MacLink Plus installed on my iMac. I'd be happy to translate the file to a usable format for you. I've done it for others in the past.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3762 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
I still use MacLinkPlus with Appleworks and it opens all sorts of files just fine. Mine is a version that originally came with Appleworks ages ago. It still works.

Posts: 2262 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post