Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  iWork    is the new version of pages missing features?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

is the new version of pages missing features?
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
posted
Just opened a previous document in the new pages and noticed my ruler guides were gone and I don't see where to get them back. Thats a feature I would miss if it was gone. Did they take functionality away in the new iWork apps?

Posts: 626 | Location: Farmington Hills, MI | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Went on the apple discussion board and it looks like a lot of functionality is missing. I know sometimes people jump the gun and complain just because things have changed.. but I get the feeling that maybe I should have waited before "upgrading" to the new iWork apps? Haven't tried the new pages or keynote yet. Anyone else try them yet? what do you think?

Posts: 626 | Location: Farmington Hills, MI | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
If you look in the Applications folder, your older version of Pages should still be in the iWork 09 folder.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3762 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
If you open an iWork '09 document with the new version, it is modified and can't be opened by the '09 application.
There is a workaround. With said file opened in the "new, improved" iWork, go to File>Revert To... The Time-Machine-like display will allow you to pick from earlier versions. Select the last version saved in old iWork, click "Restore," and the old version is back in the folder where it lives. You should be able to double-click the file and have it open in iWorks '09. To be safe, I've opened these files from File>Open in the old iWorks, or from the file's Get Info> "Open With".

The iOS-ification of Pages, etc. is a hot topic on many forums. Overwhelmingly negative reaction. Fortunately, Apple spared the old versions, as Phyllis mentioned, so they're still in your Applications folder.

Posts: 1090 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks.. I was going to ask how to go back to old now that I opened the file in the new one. I hope these new "improved" iWork apps get updated to functionality of the old ones, (kind of like what happened with final cut pro x) or do you think the "dumber" (for lack of a better word) new apps were designed that way intentionally?

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Apple has already said that features will be added back in. They wanted to get feature parity between all versions (desktop, iOS, web) first.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5469 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
I recently upgraded to Mavericks and am having a problems w/Pages. I tried Chuck's workaround only to discover that I have been using iWork '08 so when I try his workaround, going to file, the "Revert to Saved" is grayed out. My computer is "hung up" & I can't force quit pages--or even do a shut down! Any suggestions?

My situation is explained at "Genius Bar-Trouble Shooting Software"

Posts: 227 | Location: Southfield, MI USA | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post