Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Wanted    Wanted — Used Printer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wanted — Used Printer
 Login/Register

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted
My nephew needs a printer to do school work.
His Mom is looking for a really inexpensive deal on a used one.

Any working printers gathering dust around your home?

Posts: 1621 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
Yahoo IM
posted Hide Post
For the cost of ink jet cartridges now days, it may be more cost effective to get this Printer

Posts: 461 | Location: Livonia | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
This is a laser printer b/w only. I have one--not this model. It costs about 3 cents/page to print with a laser as opposed to 10-12 cents/page for ink jet. Although inkjet cartridges might seem cheaper, they cost more per page. This is a very reasonable price for a laser printer. It might only come with a "starter" cartridge though (not as many pages as a regular one). You could contact the company and find out.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
I might have an HP Printer, thats brand new in the box, $30. I won't be able to give you the model info til later though. I didn't get to use it, as I won an Epson on the raffle.

Posts: 103 | Registered: July 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
I've used HP printers for years and have found them to be very reliable. However, mine have been laser.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dix99:
I might have an HP Printer, thats brand new in the box, $30. I won't be able to give you the model info til later though. I didn't get to use it, as I won an Epson on the raffle.

dix99,
Thanks.
When you pass along the model number,
could you please advise if ink cartridges are included?

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
I happened to spot a deal on Amazon for a Brother compact Laser Printer, with Wireless Networking and Duplex printing. Less than $80 - about half of list price. Here's the link.

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
The model number is 'HP Photosmart C5180 All-In-One-Printer', but unfortunately the ink has expired, so you will need to get some.

quote:
Originally posted by CHunter:
quote:
Originally posted by dix99:

dix99,
Thanks.
When you pass along the model number,
could you please advise if ink cartridges are included?

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Chita, dix99:

The HP ink is more than likely fine as long as the cartridges have not been installed in the printer. I have used HP cartridges that were over 4 years old and they worked fine.

Posts: 1644 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
I did put them in to test it, but I get the message that they need replacing.

Brian, If I get some cheap generic ink for it, will it work, or will it know there cheap & not let me use them?

Chita, you can take it & try it out & just pay me if everything is OK.

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Dix99:

HP inkjets are not like Epson & Canon which do not replace the print head when installing a new cartridge. Putting new ink in it should work just fine. The old/used ones may have dried out.

Costco sells and refills HP cartridges for a considerable savings. They may be able to salvage the older ones that you tested the printer with.

Posts: 1644 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Stone:
Costco sells and refills HP cartridges for a considerable savings. They may be able to salvage the older ones that you tested the printer with.

Much as I love Costco for most things, I've had bad luck with their inkjet refills, both Canon and HP. My HP Deskjet reported No Cartridge after installing one I had just gotten refilled there. A couple of Canon color cartridges had similar failures. While a black Canon cart worked OK, I'm not planning to refill there any more. In each instance, there was no problem with getting a refund.

Posts: 1100 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
dix99,
I"ve sent you a private message.

And thanks, ALL for your input.

Chita

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CHunter,