Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Wanted    Looking 4 a copy of Tiger
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking 4 a copy of Tiger
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Kirk Tirakian
AIM: Online Status For kirktalon
posted
Now that Snow Leopard is out in the world. I was wondering if someone could sell their copy of Tiger to me at a MacGroup member discount?

I've got a MacBook running Tiger and am in possession of a Power Mac G5 running Panther. I'd like them running the same OS level.

Not looking to break any EULA rules so just let me know if can and want to thanks.

I'm never "lost" cause I always know where "I" am. I just may not know where anything else is or how to get there.

Posts: 405 | Location: Roseville, Michigan | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
A copy of Tiger can legally be sold only if it has not been used in an upgrade chain. This applies to retail box copies (black discs), gray discs are what is furnished with a new machine and can only be used on a like machine. A laptop gray disc cannot be used to install OSX on a desktop.

Posts: 1643 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Yoww-za. Original retail price was only $120.

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
I'm looking for a generic apple bootable Tiger install disk, prefer the latest available, which was 10.4.11.
I can't find the system disk that came with the machine, and the only Tiger media I have from Apple is 10.4.0 which won't boot the machine.
I HAVE TO USE Tiger because the machine connects to a Tiger-based XSAN/XSERVE and must be consistant with the OS of it and the other machines.

Anyone?
Thanks in advance!
chuck

Posts: 164 | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
I don't think there is a 10.4.11 install disk. You install 10.4 then do the Software Updates to get it up to 10.4.11. Even in the Apple Store, when you need to reformat your drive they only start out with 10.4.7 on their Genius Bar drives. You have to do further Software Updates yourself. At least this is what I found at the store in Ann Arbor.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
The MacGroup monthly discs a few years ago had the 10.4.11 updates. I might be able to locate one & bring to the MG April 25 meeting. Let me know with a post here. (I saved them ALL for just this kind of situation.)

(Don't have Tiger anymore. Used it to reformat my old Mac for my son's family and gave him the discs. It would have been an upgrade anyway.)

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
So, if you install 10.4 from the original disc, then you can go directly to 10.4.11 with that combo update. But I thought you said your 10.4 install disc would not boot your computer. Is it an install disc for a different model? If it is what came originally with that computer, you should be fine.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mary Jo and Donna; The problem is that the machine won't boot to 10.4.0, it needs at least 10.4.6 (or later), and the system disks I have are for a different model machine, so they either don't boot properly (or at all) and even if they boot, I get an error that that OS can't be installed on this machine.

Posts: 164 | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm a little lost now. Exactly what machine do you need a system on? What system came with it originally? What happened? Did you reformat the hard drive? Have you no system on it now? You said you cannot find the system discs? Are we talking the original system discs, or discs for a later system that you now want to install?