Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Wanted    DSL Modem recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DSL Modem recommendations
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Linda
posted
Need to buy a new DSL modem, mine's acting spotty and it's old. I don't need wireless but if it makes for a better modem, I'll consider it.

Looking for advice on price if you have that info too!!

Thanks,

Linda

If you’re not completely appalled, you’re not paying attention.

Posts: 602 | Location: Birmingham, MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Are you an AT&T DSL customer? If so and you have a 2Wire, try taking it to an AT&T store to see what they'll do for you.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Linda
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'm with AT&T. The modem is a 6 year old Speadstream. This one I bought after the one they "gave" to me died after 3 years.

Thanks, Linda

Posts: 602 | Location: Birmingham, MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
I may have something that will work. Need to check my "office" first.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2121 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
If you have a 3rd party modem, AT&T probably wouldn't help out.

Just for the info: My 2Wire "quit" a few months ago. I took it with box, cable & power cord to an AT&T store. They checked, and it was the POWER CORD that had died, not the unit. We purchased a new cord for $10, and it's been working fine.
- Just something for AT&T people to be aware of. If your router/modem from them is acting up, get all the parts checked at their store before spending money on a new unit.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
As miserable as Comcast is they at least will replace a bad modem for free.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Ditto Bright House. I think I'm actually on my 4th modem from them. Any problems, I just take it to the Livonia office and they swap it out for the latest model. And for the record, if there is a lease fee for it, it's built into the monthly charges.
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Stone:
As miserable as Comcast is they at least will replace a bad modem for free.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3780 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Ditto for Comcast. I'm on at least my fifth modem.
I've been with them for many, many years. Those modems don't last more than about 2years. If it's flakey, I just call and they come out and replace it. They charge a small fee per month now, but they didn't used go Way better than going out and getting a new modem of your own just to see if that is really your problem. Saves my time, which is worth money.

Posts: 2302 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
I gave Comcast their modem back 4 years or
so ago and bought my own, $50. It's still working
fine (knock on wood).

At those rates for Comcast's modem fee, I've saved
$36 to $100 per year. The cost of several modems.

Posts: 1631 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Chita:

What brand and model number did you buy for $50.00 and where did you get it?

Posts: 1658 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Linda
posted Hide Post
Chita, I know I opted to buy my own instead of "renting" from them. When their initial "free" one failed they offered the rental option. I know I didn't pay over $60 for it 6 years ago. I'm certain this was a cost savings Wink Because it turned out to not be my modem after all!! So I put the old one back to work and returned the $50 new one.

I was my Airport Express. I got 4 good years out of it and really wanted to replace it anyway. It was 802.11G and my new computer is N.

At this holiday time of year.....that one for them and one for me kind of shopping...... it was really easy to justify Smile

Thanks all, Linda

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Brian,
I purchased a Motorola Surfboard SB5120
from Best Buy.

Posts: 1631 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
I also purchased my own cable modem cheaply a few years ago, Motorola SB5100; never a problem.
Just had to call Comcast to "provision" the new unit. I told the support tech (fortunately at a local call center) that I had the modem directly into the computer (no router in the path), had MAC address, model and serial number etc at the ready. This made the process very quick and friendly and it was ready to go in a few minutes.

Posts: 1106 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post